Skip to main content

What Smoking Does To Your Skin

Blog post once again contributed by the lovely Dr. Ko Na Young of Renewme Skin Clinic Hwagok branch. Original post in Korean can be read by clicking here.


Ever since the price of cigarettes doubled this year, a lot of people have attempted to quit. This is still not enough, though. We all know that smoking is bad for you, but many are probably not aware that smoking can be bad for the skin as well. When patients come for consultation and explain their concerns about dull skin, fine lines, adult acne, hair loss, psoriasis and so on, I make sure to check whether they are smokers or not.

Smoking can cause the skin to age, making it dry and thin. It aggravates acne and psoriasis, triggers hair loss and delays wound recovery.


Aging Skin
For women especially, smoking induces photoaging, which is skin aging caused by exposure to UV rays, by deepening the skin layers of which UV rays can originally reach. Furthermore, smoking decreases and decomposes collagen generation, furthering the aging process.

Dry, Atrophied Skin
Smoking lowers the moisture content in the outer layers of the skin, and decreases estrogen in the skin, causing dryness and atrophy.

Acne
It has been reported that compared to non-smokers, smokers tend to have more acne, and severe acne at that, too. From my own experience, I've noticed that smokers have more inflammatory acne, and show a slower recovery rate.

Psoriasis
Psoriasis is also correlated to smoking. Smoking increases the attack rate of psoriasis, aggravates symptoms, and interferes with treatment progress.

Atopic Dermatitis
Recent results have shown that children who live with smokers are likely to have more severe symptoms from atopic dermatitis. Even if the smoking is not done inside the house, the components left on clothes and such can still affect the child. That is why when I treat children with dermatitis, I ask if there are any smokers in the family and explain the risks of what it can do to children.

Hair Loss
A study from England has shown that smoking men are twice as likely to become bald before their 50's, compared to non-smokers. The nicotine in cigarettes can temporarily contract blood vessels that provide nutrients and oxygen to hair follicles. Long time smoking can therefore trigger hair loss more quickly.

Wound Recovery
Because nicotine hinders blood circulation, chances of wound recovery or dermal necrosis are higher than non-smoking patients. This is why smoking is prohibited for a period of time before and after surgeries such as fat grafting, hair transplantation, sweat gland suction, and even non-surgical procedures such as dermal filler.

Website: www.rnmeskin.net
Phone number: +82-2-588-7525
Email: renewmeview@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/rnmeskin (please 'like' us for updates!)
Line: skin0075
Kakao Talk: renewmeskin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radiesse, Fill in the Essentials for Your Skin

What is Radiesse?

Hyperbaric Oxygen Theraphy Available in Korea - Renewme Skin Clinic

Hyperbaric Oxygen Theraphy is available in all Korean branches at Renewme Skin Clinic! IBEX Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber which reach to 2.0 pressure is available at all branches. We have branches near Myeongdong(Dongdaemun branch), Gangman(Seocho branch), and Jamsil branch in Seoul and Seomyeon branch in Busan. HBOT is available for both patients who get treatment for skin and patients who just want to get HBOT. How does HBOT work? Who are the best candiated for HBOT? We especially recommend Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment to people who..  people who are recovering from surgery - HBOT is very effective to decrease the swelling caused by surgery and help faster recovery people who want faster recovery from skin clinic procedure that has long downtime people who want anti-aging effect Is HBOT covered by insurance in Korea? Some diseases are covered by insurance, some are not covered by insurance. To check the exact information, we recommend to check with the insurance company. These are the...

Mini-Liposuction Blog Post by Dr. Ko Na Young

Here is a blog post written by Hwagok branch head dermatologist Dr. Ko Na Young. The original post, written in Korean, can be read by clicking here . Ever since I was young, I was always concerned about the extra fat in my thighs. My calves were not so bad after I started to work out in my twenties. My thighs, on the other hand, would not budge no matter how hard I exercised. All of the clothes I bought had to fit my thighs more than any other area, and I couldn't wear pencil skirts because they would feel so uncomfortably tight, so I had to stick to flared skirts. Then, about 5-6 years ago, I extracted some fat from my thighs for a fat grafting procedure. Since then I have seen some size reduction that has been maintained until now. I didn't remove a tremendous amount of fat like traditional liposuction (over 2000 cc) - it was just about 150-200 cc from both thighs, but it was still very effective in reducing the size of my thighs. Areas such as the thighs and upper arms...