Symptoms of Atopic Dermatitis
Symptoms include severe itching that comes with erythematous papules and scaly skin. The condition can significantly worsen from the scratching, which leads to more itching and more scratching, resulting in a vicious cycle, thicker skin and deep wrinkles.
Because of its complexity and difficult nature, it is strongly recommended that you consult a certified dermatology specialist for treatment, rather than relying on home remedies that have not been verified.
1. Dryness should be avoided at all costs; especially during the winters. Showers/baths should not be taken so frequently, and use soap as little as possible.
2. Wear cotton clothes instead of other chemical materials such as wool or nylon, and rinse your clothes thoroughly when using a washing machine.
3. Do not use exfoliating towels or scratch the skin with your fingernails as this can worsen the symptoms.
4. Do not wear tight-fitting clothes that can block air circulation can cause sweat.
5. Avoid dairy products, eggs, flour, nuts, seafood, artificial foods, and preservatives that can cause allergic reactions.
6. Keep your skin moisturized all the time; use a humidifier and apply moisturizer frequently.
1. UV Radiation Therapy
Studies have shown that UV rays from sunlight can have treatment effects for vitiligo. Using actual sunlight for treatment, however, would require long hours, which can cause burns and other negative side effects. This has led to the development of artificial UV radiation equipment.
2. Excimer Laser
Excimer laser is the best treatment known yet for atopic dermatitis as well as vitiligo or psoriasis. It has proven to be up to 4-6 times more effective than standard UV radiation and is covered by national Korean insurance for areas that are visible (face, lower arms/legs).
Often times, atopic dermatitis can get worse due to additional infections caused by scratching. Atopic dermatitis patients often have certain bacteria and toxins that trigger allergic reactions and attack the immune system, which calls for use of medication to control them. Antibiotics are especially effective when the symptoms worsen suddenly in a short period of time.
Kakao Talk: renewmeskin