Skip to main content

How to Take Care of Sensitive Skin

Here is another blog post contributed by Dr. Ko Na Young (modified in English), director of our Hwagok branch. Original post (in Korean) can be found here.


For all of you out there with super sensitive skin, I definitely share your pain. My skin is so sensitive, I haven't been able to try out any new foundation for over 10 years. Every time I try something new, my skin breaks out or I end up with allergic reactions. I once even broke out from a new shampoo that trickled down onto my face when I washed my hair! And one time, I applied a new body lotion I received as a gift and ended up itching all over and unable to use it. Facial scrubs? Couldn't even dream of it.

Plus, my skin turns red at the slightest touch or stimulation (also known as dermographism). Luckily, it isn't the itchy type, so I don't need to take any medications, but it still causes so many discomforts.

For example, if the chain from my handbag touches my arm, that area swells and turns red. People always ask me if something is wrong with my arm. I've grown used to saying "that happens when something touches my skin," but I can still feel their eyes filled with... concern? pity? repulsion? I can't tell.



I'm also allergic to most metals, and can only wear 14K gold jewelry. It can't even be gold plated; my skin will recognize it right away and start itching. I can't wear wristwatches, either (so these days I am considering a solid gold watch).

I can't wear any clothes made of wool because it's too abrasive. I need to wear something softer underneath.

My body can't metabolize alcohol either, so when I have a few drinks, my whole body turns red and itches all over.

My skin also tends to be extremely dry during winters, so I need to pay extra attention to moisturizing. If I don't moisturize immediately after showering, I'll start itching right away.

Gosh. Talk about difficult, right?

As a dermatologist, I come across many patients whom, like myself, have sensitive skin. Since I know how it feels only too well, I do my best to treat them and provide guidelines on how to take care of their skin:

-First of all, if you have sensitive skin, you should do your best to avoid any new material that could irritate your skin.

-Try not to change your cosmetic products/daily skincare regimen, dye your hair, or shower for too long.

-Don't scrub your body or exfoliate at home.

-Acne ointments or whitening creams should be used with extra caution.

-Alcohol may cause itching or skin irritation, so refrain from drinking if possible.

-Try not to wear any clothes made of wool.

-Shower with lukewarm water under 10 minutes, and moisturize your whole body immediately after, especially during winter.

-Stay away from strong winds or heaters, which can make your skin drier.

And most importantly, skin troubles rarely just improve on their own, and in fact, only get worse if you leave it be. So make sure to visit a dermatologist right away - this advice is actually from my own experience with dermatitis. I try to avoid taking medication for as long as possible, but usually my condition worsens and I have to take medication anyway, for a much longer period than initially necessary.
Now that I know better, I take medicine as soon as I see any hint of dermatitis, and receive soothing treatments offered at our clinic, such as Omega Light. My skin usually returns to normal after about a day or two.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to receive treatment as soon as possible. I always make sure to tell my patients that the longer the condition lasts, the longer treatment will take as well.

It can be a real pain to have sensitive skin, but with the right care hopefully you will be able to manage it a little more efficiently. Good luck!

Website: www.rnmeskin.net
Phone number: +82-2-588-7525
Email: renewmeview@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/rnmeskin (please 'like' us for updates!)
Line: skin0075
Kakao Talk: renewmeskin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyday Skin Tips for Contact Dermatitis Patients

Face wash: twice a day lightly with water only (or Dove soap) Moisturizing: Stop using all prior products and use one moisturizer only. Recommended products : Renewme Intensive Moisturizing Cream, Eucerin Aquaphorin Active Light, Bioderma Sensibio, Avene Tolerance Extreme Creme, La Roche Posay Toleriane, DermaLift Milderm, Physiogel Cream, Cetaphil Cream, Cetaphil AD Lotion, Mustela Stelatopia Cream, Rovectin Anti-Irritant Barrier Repair Ultra Cream) Sunscreen: Renewme Oil-Free Sun Cream, Skinceuticals (Physical Fusion UV Defense, Sheer Physical UV Defense), Johnson's Baby (Daily Sun Protection Lotion), Bioderma (Photoderm Kid), Avene (Tres Haut Protection Enfant), Bioderma (AKN Mat), Avene (Cleanance SPF30), TheraDerm  (Orga Sunblock) Base Makeup: Avoid wearing makeup, or just use a light makeup base and powder. Recommended products : Kryolan Blending Powder, Innisfree Mineral Creamy Pact, Mamonde Pact, Estee Lauder Double Wear Powder Pact Makeup to avoid: Foundation

Entry procedures for Incoming Travelers Fully vaccinated (Korea)

  Entry procedures for Incoming Travelers Fully vaccinated in Korea Entry Procedure Quarantine Counter  Vaccination Verification (submit) * Receive the confirmation stickers on the passport after presenting vaccination verification documents or an electronic certificate to a quarantine officer) ↓ PCR Negative Result (submit) ↓ APP Installation Booth (Install Self-Quarantine APP) ↓ Immigration Counter * Qurantine notice issuance  (get immigration record checked and obtain a confirmation stamp) <Public health center or Temporary living facility > Vaccination verification  Local government Check quarantine notice Test  Within 1 day at a public health center Quarantine  (Granted quarantine exemption after a negative test result confirmed) self monitor for symptoms Test  (6-7 days / 12-13 days)

2021 Welcome Event for incoming travelers in Korea!

2021 Welcome EVENT  for incoming Travelers in Korea!   1. Face Lifting & Tightening Thermage FLX 4TH  (Doublo gold HIFU lifting 100 shots FREE!) 2. V line face slimmer! Inmode + Contouring Inejction + Glove lifting + Doublo gold 200 shots  3. Acne scar & Marks - DNA dermal rejvenation package  (secret RF + DNA + Fractional laser) - V beam Prima (Acne marks) for full face 4. Skin whitening - Ruby Pico laser ( full face) 5. Face elasticity & wrinkle thread lifting (Blue rose & Silouette soft lifting) Please contact us if you are interested in making an appointment Don't miss the chance for your skin! :)  ​   please feel free to contact us at the following: Kakotalk: renewmeskin LINE ID : skin0075 WeChat : renewmeskin Email: Renewmeview@gmail.com