Skip to main content

Folliculitis - What You Need To Know



Folliculitis is a common skin condition that can easily be mistaken for acne at first glance. It might be best to have some information in mind, as to not get confused when you notice breakouts across your skin in the future! If you do notice anything strange, always remember that it is best to consult your doctor first for diagnosis before trying any remedies at home. In the meantime, let's get you educated on what exactly folliculitis is.

As the name might suggest, folliculitis is an infection in the follicles. And what are follicles? Why, I'm glad you asked. Follicles refer to the tiny little pouches from which each hair grows out. They exist all over the body on any area that has hair... and that includes your chest, back, legs, arms, and even your butt. These follicles can become infected by a virus or the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus, and depending on the depth and severity of the infection requires light treatment or a visit to the doctor.

So how do you get folliculitis? There are a variety of causes that can contribute to infection, some of which include tight clothes, friction, prolonged acne medication, diabetes, obesity, unhygienic environments, nose hair plucking (so be careful when you pick your nose, haha), or other infected wounds that can affect surrounding follicles. Typically they start off looking like little red pimples and are painless, or perhaps slightly itchy, and don't leave behind any scars. On the other hand, there are also severe cases of folliculitis, normally in the beard area, in which symptoms can frequently recur and spread to other follicles.

Treatment is fairly simple, and is done via topical antibiotics for about 7-10 days. In cases of relapse or excessively wide treatment areas, or when the skin does not respond well to treatment, oral medication will be additionally prescribed.

So many things to watch out for when taking care of your skin, huh? Well, I hope this extra bit of information helps, anyway!

Website: www.rnmeskin.net
Phone number: +82-2-588-7525
Email: renewmeview@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/rnmeskin (please 'like' us for updates!)
Line: skin0075
Kakao Talk: renewmeskin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radiesse, Fill in the Essentials for Your Skin

What is Radiesse?

Hyperbaric Oxygen Theraphy Available in Korea - Renewme Skin Clinic

Hyperbaric Oxygen Theraphy is available in all Korean branches at Renewme Skin Clinic! IBEX Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber which reach to 2.0 pressure is available at all branches. We have branches near Myeongdong(Dongdaemun branch), Gangman(Seocho branch), and Jamsil branch in Seoul and Seomyeon branch in Busan. HBOT is available for both patients who get treatment for skin and patients who just want to get HBOT. How does HBOT work? Who are the best candiated for HBOT? We especially recommend Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment to people who..  people who are recovering from surgery - HBOT is very effective to decrease the swelling caused by surgery and help faster recovery people who want faster recovery from skin clinic procedure that has long downtime people who want anti-aging effect Is HBOT covered by insurance in Korea? Some diseases are covered by insurance, some are not covered by insurance. To check the exact information, we recommend to check with the insurance company. These are the...

Mini-Liposuction Blog Post by Dr. Ko Na Young

Here is a blog post written by Hwagok branch head dermatologist Dr. Ko Na Young. The original post, written in Korean, can be read by clicking here . Ever since I was young, I was always concerned about the extra fat in my thighs. My calves were not so bad after I started to work out in my twenties. My thighs, on the other hand, would not budge no matter how hard I exercised. All of the clothes I bought had to fit my thighs more than any other area, and I couldn't wear pencil skirts because they would feel so uncomfortably tight, so I had to stick to flared skirts. Then, about 5-6 years ago, I extracted some fat from my thighs for a fat grafting procedure. Since then I have seen some size reduction that has been maintained until now. I didn't remove a tremendous amount of fat like traditional liposuction (over 2000 cc) - it was just about 150-200 cc from both thighs, but it was still very effective in reducing the size of my thighs. Areas such as the thighs and upper arms...