Skip to main content

Gamjatang in Gangnam


If you've been in Korea long enough, you might have come to realize that the really good local Korean eats are not spotless, sparkling, brand new modern buildings. Rather, they are the old joints with evident traces of age and experience. The menus are, most of the time, 100% authentic Korean and well sought-out by Koreans of all ages, old and young.

This gamjatang place is no exception. A 3 minute walk from Renewme Skin Clinic Seocho branch (Nambu Terminal station exit 6), this restaurant is open for 24 hours a day - which means it's also the perfect place to cure your hangover when you've been drinking well into the wee hours of the morning.

Gamjatang is a soup/stew made with pork, potatoes, vegetables, and spicy seasoning. Gamja refers to a particular body part of the pig... but also sounds the same as the word for potato, which confuses even Koreans. Tang is the word for soup. But enough with the explanations, let's check it out already!


The place itself is moderately sized, with about 7-8 tables. And yep, you need to sit on the floor. One of the uncomfortable sides to traditional Korean restaurants, but that's how they're made.


A simple meal is 7,000 won, which is fairly cheap for a hearty meal. You can also order the stew, for 2 or more people, and cook it in a portable stove right on the table as you eat, and order extra fillings along the way.



Aprons are provided to keep any food spilling onto your clothes. This is actually quite common for a lot of restaurants in Korea; pretty genius, if you ask me. Who'd have thought aprons could be used outside of the kitchen? ;)


Banchan, or side dishes, are a must for every Korean meal.


Rice. Of course - you probably know Koreans can't survive without it.


Around lunch time, the soup is already boiling and ready by the time you get there. This is because like many meat-based broths, the taste only gets better the longer you boil it, and in a super large pot as well. That's why our meal was ready before I was even finished sitting down. How amazing is that?

Now, how you like to eat your gamjatang, or whichever Korean soup, is completely up to the individual. Some prefer to eat it without rice. Some people eat the soup separately, and rice separately. Me? I like to mix everything together and combine both the texture and flavor of rice+soup. How so?


Like this! Now, I must admit this is not the most flattering image for something for delicious. However, it tastes aweeeesome. The bones are included in the soup, so it takes some time to pick out all the chunks of meat. A separate bowl is provided for you to drop the bones into after you're done.


Pineapple-flavored Fanta was provided for free; another reason I like coming to this restaurant. Soda is the perfect beverage to wash off your mouth from all that savory soup and leave your tongue feeling refreshed and fruity!

I honestly can't get enough of this food. Sometimes I wondered how I even managed to survive living/traveling in other countries without my kimchi, rice, and all the good Korean stuff that comes with it. ;)

Website: www.rnmeskin.net
Phone number: +82-2-588-7525
Email: renewmeview@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/rnmeskin (please 'like' us for updates!)
Line: skin0075
Kakao Talk: renewmeskin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radiesse, Fill in the Essentials for Your Skin

What is Radiesse?

Hyperbaric Oxygen Theraphy Available in Korea - Renewme Skin Clinic

Hyperbaric Oxygen Theraphy is available in all Korean branches at Renewme Skin Clinic! IBEX Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber which reach to 2.0 pressure is available at all branches. We have branches near Myeongdong(Dongdaemun branch), Gangman(Seocho branch), and Jamsil branch in Seoul and Seomyeon branch in Busan. HBOT is available for both patients who get treatment for skin and patients who just want to get HBOT. How does HBOT work? Who are the best candiated for HBOT? We especially recommend Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment to people who..  people who are recovering from surgery - HBOT is very effective to decrease the swelling caused by surgery and help faster recovery people who want faster recovery from skin clinic procedure that has long downtime people who want anti-aging effect Is HBOT covered by insurance in Korea? Some diseases are covered by insurance, some are not covered by insurance. To check the exact information, we recommend to check with the insurance company. These are the...

Mini-Liposuction Blog Post by Dr. Ko Na Young

Here is a blog post written by Hwagok branch head dermatologist Dr. Ko Na Young. The original post, written in Korean, can be read by clicking here . Ever since I was young, I was always concerned about the extra fat in my thighs. My calves were not so bad after I started to work out in my twenties. My thighs, on the other hand, would not budge no matter how hard I exercised. All of the clothes I bought had to fit my thighs more than any other area, and I couldn't wear pencil skirts because they would feel so uncomfortably tight, so I had to stick to flared skirts. Then, about 5-6 years ago, I extracted some fat from my thighs for a fat grafting procedure. Since then I have seen some size reduction that has been maintained until now. I didn't remove a tremendous amount of fat like traditional liposuction (over 2000 cc) - it was just about 150-200 cc from both thighs, but it was still very effective in reducing the size of my thighs. Areas such as the thighs and upper arms...